Re: What is the language "British"?

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:27, Michael P. Brininstool wrote:
>How much of the difference is that there were few, if any, standard
>spellings until after Australia and America had been colonized?

An Exellent Point.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Gutenburg's press wasn't nearly so efficient at promulgating a single way
of spelling anything until we were well into the 18th century, because of
distribution problems among other things.  Hence the historical spellings
are bound to be at odds over large geographical distances since they were
often 'jelled' into local common usage according to the local printers
customary way of spelling something.

Food for thought indeed.

--
Cheers, Gene