Re: How to recover X-Server when messed up with xgl

Gayal kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 27. elokuuta
2006 19:41):
> I was yuming and rpm -ivh/-uvh  FC5 with xgl and things didn't
> go as expected. now that the X-server is not starting and
> throws the message X-Server is not configured properly.
> Is there any rollback procedure in Linux, or how do i overcome
> this problem without reinstalling FC5 again.

Fix your X configuration, either edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf or run
system-config-display --reconfigure

> wut does xorg, x11 and X-Server mean?

X11 is a short name for the X Window System version 11:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
X.org is the implementation of X11 used in Fedora Core:
http://www.x.org/
X Server is the program that controls the display adapter and
input devices and communicates with the X client programs.

> is this based on VESA
> drives? what is fglrx?

VESA is one of the drivers supported by X.org, fglrx is the
proprietary X driver for ATI Radeon cards.

> what if i have configured my x-server
> with fglrx having a ATI X700 card? can i still changed it to
> the standard VESA drives.

Yes. You can also use the open-source radeon driver, but you
won't get 3D acceleration with your card.

> Can i setup xgl on a Live CD. is this possible?

There used to be a XGL live CD, but its distribution was stopped
due to the complications with non-free drivers.
http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=xgl-livecd

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka@xxxxxx