iso cds downloaded to Windows 98se Desktop; can't understand how to checksum

Hello,
I have downloaded iso cds 1-5 from mirror site.
I had to get sha1sum from another independent site because it would not download but only run on the mirror site.
I still do not understand how to check the downloaded iso files with the downloaded sha1sum.exe file.
I tried putting it in system32 as I had read from a volunteer's  site, but could not figure out where the prompt is that he suggested entering a run command within.  I tried the run dialogue box in Windows, but it would not work with what I entered.
I would love to follow precautions and feel that I am learning to do something correctly rather than creating a mess no better than Window's madness.
I would appreciate the assistance of a knowledgeable FC user.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mitchell