Re: Samba, SELinux, Printing problem

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:37 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
hi all,

Having had a great time with Fedora FC5, I decided it was time I got to know something about this SELinux stuff. So I did a clean install of FC5, completely updated it and proceeded to try and get Samba going to dole out services to my windoze machines.

I had a problem in that home directories were not accessible (permission denied) from the windoze boxen. I did a little playing with the FC5 security configurator and discovered a boolean to enable samba to access home directories, and then made that permanent using setsebool.

Now it comes to printing. I have tried every conceivable combination of samba settings to no avail..windoze boxen cannot print to the smb printer.

I suspect that SELinux policies are somehow constraining this in much the same way as the problem I had with accessing home directories.

Am I on the right track?.....point me in the right direction please :)
----
If the problem were selinux, you would see 'avc denied' errors
in /var/log/messages - I don't think that is the problem though.

add this or something like it in /etc/samba/smb.conf

        load printers = yes
        show add printer wizard = yes
        printcap = cups
        cups options = raw
        printing = cups
        printer admin = @"Domain Administrators"
        use client driver = yes

[printers]
        comment = Network Printers
        printer admin = @"Print Operators"
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = yes
        printable = yes
        writable = no
        read only  = Yes

[print$]
        path = /home/printers
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = Yes
        read only = Yes
        printer admin = root Administrator
        write list = root
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

mkdir /var/spool/samba
chmod 777 /var/spool/samba
chmod +t /var/spool/samba
# someone can probably tell us the octal equivalent that would
# change the above 2 lines to one line
mkdir /home/printers

and since you are going to allow 'raw' printing, you have to enable raw
printing within cups...

remove the comment mark (the #) from /etc/cups/mime.convs
application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

remove the comment mark (the #) from /etc/cups/mime.types
application/octet-stream

per the instructions in each file, restart cups...

/sbin/service cups restart

probably unnecessary but restart samba...

/sbin/service smb restart

and you should be good to go

Craig

Craig

Samba was working "out of the box" without SELinux enabled ... I have just done a complete, clean install, only difference being i enabled SELinux ... (i did an install instead of a relabel) ...

Here are the relvant entries in smb.conf

load printers = yes
cups options = raw
[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /usr/spool/samba
  browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
  guest ok = yes
  writable = no
  printable = yes

The above is an excerpt from the unadulterated smb.conf installed by fedora.

If it is not SELinux doing something, then why does this cofigration work perfectly when FC5 is setup without SELinux?