Re: caching-nameserver vs sendmail

On 08.23 09:47, Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 08:29 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I installed caching-nameserver and checked the config against to the

> DNS HOWTO. All appeared to be working well, with /etc/resolv.conf
> reading 'nameserver 127.0.0.1'  However, on reboot sendmail hung on

> startup.  Any ideas?

Hmm, do you have a hostname for your PC that is it something other
than
localhost?  *That* hostname needs to be resolvable.

e.g. If your machine was known as "mailserver" at the example.com
domain, and an IP address of 192.168.0.1, it'd have a FQDN name of
"mailserver.example.com", and you'd want your DNS server to have the
appropriate records correlating the names and IP addresses.  Probably
in
both directions (forward zone that answers with that IP for that name,
and a reverse zone that answers with that name for that IP).

Yup, that's the problem. /etc/sysconfig/network says HOSTNAME=mtranch.mtranch.com, but that host's not in /etc/hosts. Making that change resolved the problem and as an unexpected side-benefit dramantically speeded up the startup of sendmail in the non-caching-DNS case. Thanks.