Re: removing old Kernels

Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greeting Jose,
>
> Pichin wrote:
>> Can someone tell me how to remove old kernels, I have about 5 old
>> kernels and only use one (the most recent one)..
>>
> There are two places that you have to visit .
>
> 1. the /boot directory
>
> In here you will find a set of three files for each kernel version that
> you have installed for example
>
> initrd-2.6.17.8.img
> System.map-2.6.17.8
> vmlinuz-2.6.17.8
>
> If you wish to remove the 2.6.17.8 kernel then you will have to remove
> the above three files .
>
> Beware of one thing here
>
> There is a symbolic link for System.map
> You will have to make sure that it doesn't point in our
> example to System.map-2.6.17.8
> Also there is a symbolic link for vmlinuz , so again you will have to
> pay attention that it doesn't point to the file you want to delete .
>
> After you clean the above set of 3 files from the boot directory (
> initrd,System.map,vmlinuz) you have to go to the /lib/modules/ directory
> There is the location that the kernel modules are stored .
> Delete all the directories that corespond to the kernels that you don't
> want to keep .
>
> HTH,
>
> Kostas

While this would work, it is not a good way to do it on a system
with package management. You are much better off using rpm or yum to
remove the kernel packages. This keeps your RPM database accurate.
As others have covered how to use yum and rpm to do this, as well as
how to remove any kernel development packages that way be installed,
I will not go into that. One other way you can do it is to use the
yum extender GUI, remove section, searching for kernel, and pick the
packages you want to remove.

Mikkel