Re: caching-namserver

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 10:24 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I wonder if my system may be introducing unanticipated [by me] delays?
> I am assuming that the DNS process is internal to my computer once an
> address has been cached however I have an ethernet switch, a wireless
> bridge, and a wireless router that may be sneaking into the picture by
> some means not obvious to me?
>
> I have a system diagram at
> http://users.wildblue.net/bobgoodwin/system.png.
> The computer I am using is labeled box1.

If you were doing queries across the wireless link to another box, I
would have said it's a fair bet.  But doing queries on the localhost
shouldn't involve the rest of the network.

It looks like you might have a similar issue to what I had (that one of
the PCs is slower to use its own DNS server than another was).  You
could try running the caching nameserver on several boxes, comparing the
results.  Today, the fastest internal response I can get is 33 mS doing
a lookup up on localhost.localdomain at the DNS server localhost
address.  i.e. dig localhost.localdomain @ 127.0.0.1  It varies between
33 and 60+ mS to return results.

I read messages from the public lists.