Re: How to restart alsa?

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 19:16, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 2:55 PM +0200 8/22/06, Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> I have searched for the alsasound script but I cannot find it. Any help?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> >If this is a straight FC5 install, without installing the planetccrma
> > kernel, and associated kernel-modules-alsa, there isn't an alsasound
> > script.
> >
> >Alsa is obviously being started at bootup on FC5 in some different way,
> > but I havn't discovered how yet.

> Fedora appears to use ainit to start alsa (man 8 ainit, via "apropos
> alsa").

Hi Tony. This thread was running a while back, and I think you mentioned
"ainit" then.  I tried it on FC5, (Not the one with planetccrma on it).  I
had some music playing using Mhwaveedit, which uses Alsa, and did an
"ainit stop" which returned me to the prompt, indicating it had stopped, but
the music was still playing.

The man page for ainit indicates that it's to do with dmix, and dnoop, and
admittadly both used by Alsa.

Have YOU managed to stop Alsa using ainit?

I don't if you've used the planetccrma stuff, which puts the alsasound
shellscript in /etc/rc.d/init.d, but this is what I get on FC2 for a stop,
and then start of Alsa using it (no music playing)

[djmons@localhost djmons]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost djmons]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
[root@localhost djmons]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-ens1371                          [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-ens1371                          [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
[root@localhost djmons]#

And if I have music playing using Alsa, running alsasound stop, closes the
sound app, and shuts down Alsa as above.

Back to ainit. Dmix, as far as I understand, allows you to use more than one
audio app (both using Alsa) at the same time, on a soundcard that is not
capable of multiple audio streams (no hardware mixing), which includes most
cards, like the Ensoniq one on this machine. My other machine which has an
Audigy2 soundblaster, does have hardware mixing, so dmix doesn't come into
the equation with that card.

I will experiment on the non planetccrma FC5. I'll try running 2 Alsa using
audio apps. Then I'll run ainit stop, and see if one of the apps stops
working. If ainit only controls dmix, and dsnoop (the capture part), and as
far as I know, dmix only comes into play when you want to play more than one
Alsa using app at the same time, then, an "ainit stop" should either result
in losing one of the apps, or breaking the machine.

I'm also going to post this query to the alsa-user list, as it's a bit
 puzzling. Hopefully someone there might be using FC5.

That's enough rambling on.

Nigel.