Re: caching-namserver

Ed Greshko wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

Before and after for "host -v google.com"

Received 252 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53 in 917 ms
Received 252 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53 in 151 ms

Actually, the 100% sure way to know that your caching name server is
working is to run something like "tcpdump" or "ethereal" and capture
only packets for port 53.

When you do a "host" for a known non-cached host you'll see the query
going out.  The second time you do the "host" you should not see a query
going out.

Ed*
*
*Ethereal might work but set-up is beyond me!  I'll have to look at that
for a while.  But "locate" found "tetehereal" which showed DNS activity
clearly on the first lookup and nothing on subsequent tries which I interpret as an indication that it is working. The times measured with "host" are still varying
widely from as little as ~10 ms to typically a bit more than 100 ms?

And the need to rewrite "resolv.conf" after reboot is bothersome as is the
loss of the cached address data when that is done although I suspect that may be done
to accommodate address changes?

Bob
*