Re: FC5 ipw3945 problem on laptop

dpet wrote:
> Thanks for your efforts, but I haven't made any progress.  I don't
> understand some of the suggested reading!
> I have tried earlier, and later ieee80211 versions, but nothing changes.
> I have tried both ipw3945-1.0.0 and ipw3945-1-1-0.
> As I also use "remove-old" during this time, I have to keep
> re-installing the kernel. Not all convenient when I can't use the
> wireless interface!
> 	Now I have tried installing from RPMs. This only succeeded in producing
> a "spin"error on logon.
> Am I supposed to  use a ipw3945-kmod or is this just another name for
> the driver?

I would suggest sticking with a pre-built rpm if the binaries are
giving you grief (I've used both without trouble, FWIW).  I don't have
a clue how to tell you to get back to a clean system, you're on your
own to undo whatever you've tried so far. :)

To use the rpm's kindly provided by Axel Thimm, enable the ATrpms repo
by creating /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo.  Mine looks like
this:

[atrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/fc$releasever-$basearch/atrpms/stable
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
includepkgs=ieee80211-kmdl* ipw3945* lirc* yum-plugin-kmdl

I have the includepkgs line because I only want a few of the many many
packages available from ATrpms.

Next, install the ATrpms GPG Key:

rpm --import http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms

Then, install the ipw3945 module for your kernel (yum will take care
of the dependencies):

yum install ipw3945-kmdl-$(uname -r)

AFAIK, the rpms don't take care of starting the required regulatory
daemon, so you'll want to start that up.  You can put it in
/etc/rc.local if you like:

# start the ipw3945 daemon
/sbin/ipw3945d --quiet

HTH,

- --
When I think about all the crap I learned in high school ... it's a
wonder I can think at all.
    -- Paul Simon