Re: FQDN, hostname and telnet

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:08:44PM -0700, Patrick B. O'Brien wrote:

> /etc/hosts should say:
>
> 127.0.0.1 geidiprime.servebeer.com

No, it should not. 127.0.0.1 should always be at least:

	127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

Otherwise certain long-standing Unix traditions will break, with dire
consequences.

You can add other things to that line, but it's not a good idea.

Instead add a new line with your NIC's IP address pointing to your
FQDN, followed by the hostname. e.g:

	192.168.1.4     geidiprime.servebeer.com	geidiprime

The FQDN must agree exactly with the host name as shown in
/etc/sysconfig/network. The OP's list of his /etc/hosts showed that it
was different: "servebeer.com geidiprime localhost". So
"servebeer.com", "geidiprime", or "localhost" should have worked, but
not geidiprime.servebeer.com, which is what he tried.

However, domain name resolution is not the only problem. When the OP
did "telnet geidiprime", the host name was successfully resolved. The
connection was refused, which suggests that the telnet server is not
set up correctly. Possibly it needs to be turned on for xinetd's
benefit. Or possibly it is only listening on the NIC, not on the
loopback device (127.0.0.1).