Re: Root partition and LVM

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> The official LVM HOWTO <www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/>
> warns against including the root partition in the VG,
> while the documents pointed to in the Wiki,
> eg <http://people.redhat.com/agk/talks/>,
> seem to assume that / will be included in the VG.
>
> Is the information in the HOWTO out-of-date?

What it says is:

root on LV should be used by advanced users only root on LVM
requires an initrd image that activates the root LV. If a kernel is
upgraded without building the necessary initrd image, that kernel
will be unbootable. Newer distributions support lvm in their
mkinitrd scripts as well as their packaged initrd images, so this
becomes less of an issue over time.

Because RedHat and Fedora build the initrd image for you, this is
not an issue unless you are building your own kernel. Then again, if
you are building your own kernel, you are probably an advanced user
- at least to the point of knowing that you need to build a matching
initrd image to take care of mounting the LVM root partition.

The way I read the warning is that if your distribution does not
automatically take of building an initrd image that supports the
root directory on LVM, then you had better know what you are doing
if you decide you want to do it. If your distribution takes care of
it, then it is not an issue unless you are building a custom kernel,
and in that case you had better know what you are doing.

Mikkel