Re: Not all IDE hard disks are detected by my BIOS

Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> I would check that you have the jumpers set correctly on the hard
>>> drives. I had an issue with a Western Digital drive that I had set to
>>> slave when it was actually the master and the BIOS would not pick it up.
>>> I am assuming these are PATA not SATA drives.
>> Thanks, Ryan and Tony. If the hard drives were not correctly connected
>> I would not be able to boot in them, is not it?
>
> Right.  But that doesn't say that that the drives are on the connections
> where the kernel says there are no drives.  The drives are connected
> elsewhere, where the kernel reports them to be.  Other connections may be
> unused.

One point to keep in mind - it is the BIOS, and not the kernel that
is generating the messages. It sounds like the BIOS is set to check
for drives on all the IDE interfaces every time it boots, and not
all interfaces have drives on them. There is nothing wrong with
this. I normally turn this off, and set the drive types in the BIOS,
but I also know to go into the BIOS and change things if I change
drives.

One other thing to keep in mind is that we do not know if there are
really 3 IDE drives. From what the OP has said, I am not sure how
much he really knows about his hardware. It would be interesting to
see the output of "fdisk -l" when run as root. This would tell us
both how many driver there are, and what interfaces they are on.

Mikkel