CD writer configuration problems

Hi All,

I am running Fedora Core 5 and I’m having problems getting a backup program called “CDTAR” to function and I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out.  The problem seems to lie in getting the program to successfully interact with my CD writer.  That is, the program functions properly until it is time to write the data to the CD, but then it tells me over and over that the CD I have inserted is not blank.  At no time does the indicator light on the CD come on.  I suspect the problem is that I have incorrectly identified the CD writer.

The CD writer is the second CD drive on my system.  The computer itself is a Compaq Presario 5BW16x, the CD writer is identified by Compaq as CDRW 4x4x32x QTZ all (I realize that is probably not very helpful but that is as much as I know).

I think that the reason I am having problems configuring the settings for the CD writer is that is just does not appear to be mounted – I can’t find anything in /dev that seems to represent it.  Other programs that I have tried to get to access the CD writer have met similar problems; HOWEVER, if I use the CD writing utility in GNOME, it works fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Bicknell