FC4 - a couple of slowness issues.

I have a machine which was running FC4, and I installed FC5 on it.

Same disks (3 sata, 320GB/sata3 on promise card, and 2 240GB/sata1 on
onboard sata (sata_sil driver; 1 160GB eide drive on on-board mb
controller). Same other H/W, same computer. Nothing changes. (athlon 2500xp+, 2gb ram, scsi tape and scanner - no scsi drives on this box).

If I boot back to FC4, the problems go away - if I boot FC5, they
occur.

I have searched both the list and bugzilla but I guess I have not done a great job because I found a few 'sorta' similar problems but not these two in partiular - if I missed it and it is there, sorry to waste the bandwidth.

Problem 1: firefox CRAWLS.  Mozilla, galeon, epiphany and konqueror ALL
load web pages, images, etc. far faster.  Time comparison for loading a
local web page (fairly straightforward - text and jpeg images mixed -
but rather large) takes under a second with any of the other browsers,
and takes over 20 seconds with firefox. If I boot back to FC4 and run 1.0.8.1-1.fc4 it runs essentially the same speed as the other browsers. I collect astronomy images (primarily very large tiff images), and the download time delays are short with the other browsers (FC5) but often more than 15 seconds BEFORE the download starts with firefox. If I boot back to FC4, the problem goes away.

Problem 2: I cannot burn a dvd (typical command cdrecord --dev=/dev/hdc -v -dao -data XYZ.iso) without getting MANY underruns - about 13 on a DVD with 3GB of data on it. Boot back to FC4 and the problem goes away.

The ONLY major difference is that I went ahead and enabled selinux on the machine when installing FC5, whereas in FC4 I did not (I also have a dedicated firwall box which theoretically eliminates the need for selunx, but I wanted to try it).

So my question is, are these problems (a) known, or (b) peculiar to selinux, and/or (c) does anybody have a suggestion for a solution?

Thanks in advance.

--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."