Fedora FC4 and SiS7019 audio chipset -- or how to setup modprobe.conf automatically

I've installed Fedora FC4 on an embedded system that has an SiS7019
chipset, and I'm having trouble getting anything to play through the
audio device.

lspci -v shows the following for the audio controller:

00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS7019 Audio Accelerator
       Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7019 Audio Accelerator
       I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
       Memory at dfff8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

As far as I can tell, the OSS trident driver supports this card, and
I've read that it's also possible to use ALSA's OSS-compatibility, but
I'm finding the documentation a bit lacking. Ideally, I'd like to run
the same sort of thing that the Fedora installer does to detect the
card and setup modprobe.conf, but X is not installed on this box, and
is not realistic to install. Is there a command-line equivalent to do
that detection and setup modprobe.conf?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Patrick