Re: Problem running cdrda0 process

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 00:23, Bill Colias wrote:
> Yes Nigel, you have it exactly right. The cdrda0 was not installed.
> This module should of been included with the Gnome desktop. My guess
> is that if I chose to include KDE with my Gnome desktop selection, it
> would of been included. How should I report this to the Fedora team?
>
> -Bill
>
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >On Tuesday 15 August 2006 19:35, Bill Colias wrote:
> > > I think the problem is in the Nautilus File Manager, though I'm not
> > > certain. How I produce the problem is after inserting a CD to copy, I
> > > right clicked on the CD image on my desktop and choose Copy Disk.
> > > Then after I complete the Copy Disc dialog I get the error message.
> > > This occurs for both a CD to CD copy or creating a file image.
> > >
> > > Note that when I installed FD 5, I only chose the Gnome desktop without
> > > KDE.
> > >
> > > -Bill
> >
> >This is just a thought Bill, but do you have cdrdao installed? To check,
> > do: rpm -q cdrdao
> >
> >I know on KDE, installing K3b the CD burning app, there are a load of
> > deps, but most are installed. The ones that stood out were cdrecord, and
> > cdrdao.
> >
> >I've just checked out my FC4 install, that doesn't have K3b
> >installed yet, and
> >to install it, Synaptic is telling me it needs cdrdao as a dep.
> >
> >Nigel.

Hi Bill. Could you try not to put your replies at the top of the previous
post, as it makes it difficult to follow the thread.

Where did you get the idea that the package was called "cdrda0" ??  As I said
when I suggested that you didn't have the package installed, it's named
"cdrdao", as Tony has just restated.

Regarding if you also had installed KDE, that "cdrdao" would have been
installed, the answer is no.  The example I gave was looking to install K3b
on FC4 with KDE installed. "cdrdao" was shown as a dependency, and IIRC on my
Debian Sarge install, installing K3b was showing both cdrecord, and cdrdao,
as dependencies.

You are always going to find dependency problems. It's a case of either
looking at the list of available packages on Synaptic, or Yumex, to see if
there is a package there that resembles the one that your attempted install
is complaining about.

It gets worse when compiling packages from source, (tar.gz/tar.bz2), which
need header files, and are in the development packages, which you probably
havn't got installed.

I'm not trying to put you off, but there are always likely to be dependency
problems with some or other package. It's just a case of learning to deal
with them.

Nigel.