Re: best video card for use with open source drivers?

Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 15:47 +0000, Kahn Seidl wrote:

I have a 7900gt, and use the nv drivers, and they work great. I have dual 19" lcd's and running anyting opengl between the 2 is smooth.

Martin

The generic nv driver doesn't do hardware 3D, only software OpenGL.
If you try running anything beyond glxgears (which is not a benchmark
[1]), you'll soon face the limitation of the software OpenGL
implementation.
In short, it won't even run tuxracer.

As for the OP, I'd try older ATI cards (which are built around the R2xx
and R3xxx chips).
Which it doesn't seem to work out of the box, people seem to have
positive experience with the open source r300_dri driver.

Gilboa
[1] http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glxgears_is_not_a_Benchmark

I replace my ATI cards with nVidia after a month of headaches. I couldn't even get tuxracer to run with the 9600 card I had. The card worked great in Windows. This was over a year ago though.

I will have to try tuxracer without the livna driver installed. I just install it by habit using yum.

BTW, thanks for the link.

--
Robin Laing