Evolution: Why does CTRL-left mouse drag windows instead of toggle selection?

Hello list,

How do you select multiple non-adjacent messages or contacts in
Evolution listboxes? I can select single items, and by holding the shift
key while left clicking, select a range of messages.

When I try clicking an item while holding the control key in order to
toggle the selected status of an item, I instead see the drag cursor (it
has a small plus sign to the right of the arrow) and indeed I can drag
the window or dialog.

I'm running a new install of FC5 and none of the few modifications I've
made should be causing this behavior.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--