Re: Tracking websites visited

Ashley M. Kirchner schreef:
  I have several machines on a private internal network that get used to get on
the internet (through an FC5 box with iptables.)  Is there some way to track
and log what websites are being loaded on these internal machines and the date
and time it gets done - and ideally also what the ip is of that internal
machine (since we have so many.)

  I thought long ago someone had mentioned using squid for this, but that would
require me actually installing and setting it up.  I'm wondering if there's
some other way of doing this.

  -- A

What you really want is to track the URLs visited. This means you have to either examine every (tcp.http) packet and log the requested URL. Easieest way is to set up a transparent proxy in which squid is a nice program to aid you.

/Arjen