Re: extremely slow "ls" on a cleared fatty ext3 directory on FC4/5

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 21:05 +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> On 2006-08-13, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Not without rebooting, but probably it will required scheduled
> > downtime where you kick all of the users off, and then recreate the
> > tmp directory --- either using rsync, or just doing a plain old "rm
> > -rf /tmp; mkdir /tmp".
>
> Shouldn't require downtime if you do a quick:
>
> 	mv /tmp /tmp-old ; mkdir --mode=1777 /tmp
>
> Plus maybe moving the file from /tmp-old/ to /tmp/... and /tmp-old can be
> deleted as soon as no processes accessing it. Check with fuser/lsof.

It is my experience that if you are logged in in gnome an essential file
is being used in /tmp. So the above should be done in init level 3 if at
all.
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in
Heaven. -- Mark Twain