Re: keeping kmod-nvidia and kernel upgrades "in sync"

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
Hi all,

I've just started using the livna nvidia driver, kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5 . This is obviously meant for use with the 2.6.17_1.2157_FC5 kernel. However, yum is pulling in the latest kernel, 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 (and making it the default kernel), even though no matching kmod-nvidia is available... isn't yum supposed to look after dependencies like this?

How are kernel and kmod-* supposed to be kept in sync? (I'd rather not use yum excludes, if I don't have too).

- Mike

ALWAYS check kernel module dependencies before upgrading the kernel.
ALWAYS check this list for at least TWO days before updating to a new kernel. The kernel packagers are not perfect, and the process can be complex. It only makes sense. UNLESS you are specifically working as a package maintainer or kernel developer, those two days will save you loads of headaches.

The guys who let cron update every night are more interested in 'testing' than using. For us 'users' here who test as an aside, we always 'wait and see' before doing updates, especially kernel updates.

If you are building out systems for specific use, then you build it at a known good level and leave it alone, until the next formal upgrade period.

For those of us doing servers with FC5, we have to be prepaired to do 6 month interval upgrades, or else just let it go for the life of the service. But even then we are careful which kernel we use, and we stick to that for all like servers.

For instance, on one of my projects, I force anaconda to load Fc5 updates to kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5. For those servers I have a dedicated yum repository that no longer updates as of that release. That way, all kernel modules and custom device drivers are exactly the same across all the servers.

good luck!