Re: How create a directory with full permiss for everybody

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 14:31 +0200, brouwers roland lx wrote:
> I would like to create a directory with full permissions for everybody.
> So I search google and:
> create a user tdp
> create a group tdpgr
> create directory /home/tdpgr
> assigned all users to that group

I would have added that group to all users, rather than "assigning" them
to that group ("assigning" inferring that you're removed them from their
current groups, and putting them there, instead).

> chown -R tdp:tdpgr /home/tdpgr
> chmod -R 2775 /home/tdpgr

I think you'd want to play with sticky bits, perhaps.  Depends on how
you want to manage ownership when someone else modifies a file.

> When a doc is created from any user it will get the permission -rwxrwxr-x
> When some user opens the doc it is opened as read-only
> Why ??????

You might want to say which OS you're using, what you mean by "doc", and
what you're opening it with.  A text file is a document, an
OpenOffice.org file is a document, but an application's document might
have more more complex ownership issues.

I've tried something similar on FC4 (a sharing directory [*] for all
users also in the "users" group, writing a file as myself, changing
group ownership to "users", modifying it as another user), and it
appeared to work fine.

*   drwxrwxr-x   2 root       users       4096 Aug 11 22:16 sharing

I read messages from the public lists.