Re: Celeron Processor

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 10:21 -0500, Smith, Herb wrote:
> I was wanting to get my son interested in Linux and thought it would be
> a good exercise to load one of the Fedora distros on an older computer
> that he has.  It has had RH8 on it successfully in the past.  It has a
> Celeron processor in it and I noticed that the FC3, 4, 5 distros all say
> that they are suited to Pentium processors.  I wondered if anyone has
> any experience with FC3 on a Celeron.  Is it going to work well at all?
> The machine appears to have sufficient memory, speed and disk space.

I'm running FC4 on two Celeron boxes, one's at 500 MHz, and the other's
at 566 MHz.  I found that 256 megs of RAM was the sweet spot between
awful to use and running quite smoothly for most applications.  If
you're doing memory intensive things (web browsing very graphical pages,
playing with The GIMP, etc.), then perhaps more RAM might be wanted.

I also have a 450 MHz PIII, though the Celeron based PCs seem better.

I read messages from the public lists.