Matrix Storage Manager RAID

I have an issue I can't find a resolution for anywhere. Plowed through tons of pages looking for an answer but can't find anything.

I have an Intel based MB that has a Matrix Storage Manager SATA RAID controller. We use our own distro based on 2.6.16.x kernels right now and I need to be able to use this controller in hardware RAID. It seems to need the i2c modules and dm set but also loads (wants) ahci. Which I guess it what makes the OS see the two separate physical drives. The chipset appears to be Intel ICH7R.

I tried installing Fedora Core 5 on the machine and while it sets everything up fine, of course, it is still seeing the individual drives (ie; /dev/sda and /dev/sdb) seperately. They do become a LV and work just fine. I don't want or expect to see this though. I expected to see the array of two SATA drives as a single unit melded together by the controller bios.

Is there something I'm missing regarding how this is supposed to function or perhaps there is a step I have omitted? I can build the LVM components and make it work but I wonder why I can't get the OS to see the drives as a single logical entity and install on _that_ entity.

If there is a way this can be done please, I am out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated. Of course the virus (windows) sees the logical single drive after booting.

Regards,

--p