Re: xmaple and Fc5 (maple 10)

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 07:04:11AM +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having the problem that xmaple (maple-10) does not run on FC5: it exits immediately.
> maple-10 itself runs als CLI perfectly, but not as X application.
>
> Did somebody make similar experiences, or did somebody solve this problem?
>
> Any anwer is appreciated.
>
> Regards

I noticed that too some time ago. It turns out maple comes with 2 GUIs,
a default one that is written in Java and another (older) GUI which uses
Motif libraries. It's the Java GUI which is broken, because maple
includes an old version of the IBM JRE which doesn't seem to work with
Xorg X11 R7

Solution 1. Use the motif interface: 'maple -cw'

Solution 2. Install a newer JRE and make sure xmaple uses that one.
I tried this with gcj and SUN Java, but that didn't work (gcj crashed,
Sun Java had problems with fonts, lots of symbols went missing). So I'm
not completely sure if this is a real solution, I stick with the motif
interface for now.

David Jansen