fstab LABELs

Let me first say this: I don't want to start another heated discussion about whether to use LABELs in fstab or not. We've beaten that poor horse into a little greasy spot many times before, and that's not the intention of this message.

Now, what I'd like to know is the following: Yesterday I did a clean FC5 install on a server (that had FC3), while retaining the drive layout. Whatever the partitions were prior to the install, I kept them and just reformatted every single one of them. When all was said and done and the system was up and running, I noticed that all the LABEL information on all the partitions had a '1' appended to them.

   For example, before the reinstall I had the following defined:

   /dev/hda1   LABEL=/       mounted as /
   /dev/hda2   LABEL=/home   mounted as /home
   etc.

   After the clean install, they are now:

   /dev/hda1   LABEL=/1      mounted as /
   /dev/hda2   LABEL=/home1  mounted as /home

This is now the second time I've noticed this. The first time I thought it was just a fluke, but it's now been recreated and I'm just baffled by it. Why does Fedora append that '1' - and what happens if I did another reinstall at some time in the future. Will it append another '1' (making it /11 and /home11) or will it increment it to '2' (/2 and /home2) ?

In a way it doesn't really matter since they're still mounted correctly (besides I've already changed them and removed the '1', as well as fix grub.conf too), but I'm just wondering WHY it does that.

   Inquiring minds want to know.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130