Re: Upgrading a server to FC5

Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
> Hi, I've got a couple of issues on upgrading a server that was running
> RH 7.3:
>
> 1 - migrating from ext2 to ext3, during re installation there is an
> option like that on partitions with ext2, is it possible to do it
> smoothly later after the installation is done?

Look at the tune2fs -j option.

> 2 - currently the box is booting from a FDD, I'm not sure yet if it's
> bios problem, or laziness of the previous administrator, but any way,
> how can I make a booting FDD for FC5 that will be installed? I remember
> there was such an option at the end of installation process of RH7.3.

If the BIOS can boot from the hard drive, then it should not be a
problem. The only thing that you may have to be careful of is that
you may need a /boot partition that is conpletely below the 1028
cylinder boundary, depending on how old the BIOS is. If the system
only has SCSI drives, it could be that the BIOS does not support
booting from SCSI drives, and that SCSI controllers do not have
their own BIOS. It is also possible that both controllers have their
own BIOS, and that they do not work well together.  You may have to
do some research to set things up so the correct one is booting the
system.

> 3 - there are 2 SCSI controllers, one's drives (striped) are recognized
> as /dev/i2o/hda1. Is there something fishy in /dev/i2o that I should be
> careful with ?

I am not sure about RAID, but I suspect the device names will change
with the upgraded kernel and udev.

> Thanks for advice
>
> Przemek
With this drastic of an upgrade, you are probably better off backing
up your data and config files, and doing a fresh install. If your
data is on its own partitions, you can get by with just formatting
the root partition. (But back up anyway.) For most of the daemons,
you are probably going to end up using your old config files as
reference and editing the default config files to do the same job,
rather then re-using the old files, depending on how up-to-date the
daemons on your 7.3 system are.

Mikkel