Re: ssh or telnet: different pathspec

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:49:58 -0600
"Michael P. Brininstool" <mikepb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, you shouldn't use telnet.

I bought a Intel SS-4000E fileserver a couple of weeks back.  Snazzy little
toy, and it runs on Linux too.  It's one of the latest doodads from Intel.

In the manual, the following paragraph is found under "Current Known Issues":

"Telnet is enabled on the Intel Entry Storage System SS4000-E by default.
Telnet emulates a terminal session and allows an IT administrator to connect to
a system remotely using the root password to control the server.  The telnet
service can not be disabled in the user Web interface GUI.  On the storage
system, the root password is synchronized with the admin password.  Because
this posts a security risk, it is recommended that you change the default admin
password on your system."

So, telnet is apparently not dead.  I admit I was surprised to read this when I
set up the fileserver, though.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net