Change default desktop

I have two somewhat related questions.

After I have a desktop set up just the way I want it (panel icons in place,
etc.) how can I save that as the default desktop when I set up a new user?

If I just create a new user, set up the desktop, and then copy the whole home
directory into /etc/skel will that work?  Will I have to reset or change any
file permisisons after I copy everything into /etc/skel?

Also, how can I add a panel icon to someone's desktop from the commandline?

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net