Re: FC5 Firefox and KMail

On Sunday 06 August 2006 13:28, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Saturday 05 August 2006 10:56 pm, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 August 2006 22:45, Chris Jones wrote:
> >

> > The thing is, the " Preferred Applications" tool doesn't just control
> > Gnome apps. It's a tool for setting defaults for the Web Browser, Email
> > client, etc.
>
> Not true. The settings you apply there do NOT control what happens in KDE
> apps.
>
> For instance, try setting your "preferred email" client to thunderbird, or
> evolution, and then click on a email link in konqueror - What email program
> comes up ? For me it is kmail, regardless of what you set.

Ok. I'll buy that, and probably didn't clarify what I meant. I agree that, for
example, a hyperlink in Kmail will open Konqueror, and an Email link in
Konqueror will open Kmails composer, and nothing that you do in this
"Preferred Applications" tool will change that.

> To me this is obvious, "gnome-default-applications-properties" does NOT
> control KDE (the hint is in the name) which has its own way of setting
> preferred applications (fire up kcontrol then navigate KDE Components ->
> Component Chooser) and thus it should NOT be put on the KDE menu to avoid
> confusion.

That is true if you know the command, and perhaps "Preferred Applications"
should never have been on KDEs menu prior to FC5, but does at least give you
some sort of hint worth looking at if you have Firefox installed, and have
clicked read mail, and have some unknown email agent opened, which is not
even configured yet.

Anyway the OP that asked the question "Firefox and Kmail" has fixed it, which
is all we are aiming for, isn't it?

> just my 1 pence  (roughly 2 cents)
>
> Chris

Sorry for the delay in replying. I spent most of yesterday looking through all
the boxes of my stuff in the spare room, for my German verbs book with no
sucess. I saw your post, but was obsessed with trying to find the darned
book.

Nigel.