Re: SATA & Software RAID and SATA issues.

Ric Moore wrote:

> You are right, /boot is certainly not on the DVD, but this system thinks
> so anyway. And, I was wrong wrong in the heat of the moment. My 200 gig
> harddrive is on the same cable as the Dvd and it is listed as /sda2 by
> the The Logical (yeah right!) Volume Management App which says the
> harddrive is /dev/sda2 but every application for the Dvd complains
> that /dev/hda1 can't be found.
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw) <---------------<<<<<
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> automount(pid1872) on /net type autofs
> (rw,fd=4,pgrp=1872,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
> [root@iam tmp]#

You are confusing /dev/hda (the DVD) with /dev/sda (the hard drive).
It also sounds like you have somehow managed to change things so
that programs looking for the DVD are looking for /dev/hda1 instead
of /dev/hda.

One thing to keep in mind is that /dev/hda is always the master
device on the first IDE controller. It is possible to have a system
with /dev/hdc and not /dev/hda. On the other hand, /dev/sda is
always the first SCSI hard drive detected, regardless of the
controller it is on, or the device number the drive is set to. It is
possible to have a system where the first SCSI controller does not
have any hard drives on it, and a second controller that does. You
can also have a system where the first SCSI hard drive is device 3,
and have a SCSI tape drive or CD-ROM as device 1, without having any
device 2.

Because SATA and USB drives are handled as SCSI drives, it is not
that uncommon for a system to have several SCSI controllers. Each
USB drive is going to show up on its own SCSI controller. ON my
system the SATA hard drive shows up on the first controller, and the
SATA DVD shows up on the second one. If I plug in a USB drive, it
becomes the third one.

Mikkel