Re: gnome-mount crashes when data DVD inserted

Ric Moore wrote:
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:25 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
Hi ll

I have this problem where when I insert a data dvd into my dvd-rom, gnome-mount crashes and reports an "unexpected error." (By the way .. using FC5). Inserting a data CD instead, works as expected... its only data DVD's. (all in the same DVD-ROM)

I have logged a bug report with fedora.redhat but nothing seems to have been done with it ...

So I am wondering...do some of you out there have no problem when data dvd's are mounted by gnome-mount, or do you all experience the problem ... i am wondering whether this is somehow to do with hardware.

Interestuingly, manually mounting the dvd using "mount -t iso9660 /dev........" etc works perfectly ... so its sseem something to do with gnome's hardware abstraction layer, gnome-vfs or gnome-mount.

Further, the gnome-live-disk works flawlessly also ... so its clearly something to do with fedora's implementation, since the orginial gnome is ok with it ... also ubuntu works fine too.

Any feedback please?

Cheers and Beers

Is it perhaps on an SATA controller?? Using the mount command are you
using something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda2 /media/name and does it
work? If so, is your system calling it /dev/hda2?? instead and then it
craps out with a can't locate device error? That's been my rant and
problem.
no its on an ATAPI-IDE controller. the manual mount is "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /media/dvd" .. no probs at all

thing is ... if I insert a data CD ... it gnome-mounts perfectly ... if i put in a data DVD ... it crashes ..... same physical device ... only difference is a CD or a DVD disc

the gnome-mount error is "a unexpected error occured with gnome-mount" with options to restart gnome-mount or not.