Re: Another DNS question.

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 20:17 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I feel that what I really need is a DSN on the LAN which is being updated each
> time a box connects to the router and gets an IP-address. I have noticed that
> some people disable the DHCP server in their router and establesh a DHCP server
> in one of connected PCs, but I don't see how that can be accomplished and what
> happens if that server is taken out of the network?

Well, if the server disappears, I'm sure you can guess what happens.
You've got to work out how likely that scenario is.  It's also possible
to have fall-over backup servers.

How it's accomplished is turning off the DHCP server on your router,
there'll be a configuration option somewhere.  Then you install and
configure a DNS and DHCP server somewhere on one, or more, of your PCs,
and configure them to integrate with each other.  Which, like many
things, is often harder to explain than actually do (there's quite a few
webpages around on the WWW about "local DNS and DHCP serving on Fedora",
or Linux in general).

Your DHCP server will not only be configured to dole out IPs to your
network, it'll also inform those PCs with what addresses to use to get
out to the internet through your router (the gateway), etc.  PCs
connecting to the network will ask to be configured as a broadcast query
to anything that listens, and your server will respond.

The simple solution would probably be to configure your router's DHCP
server to always dole out the same IP to the same machine.  Quite a few
have a table that lets you enter NIC MACs to be given a certain IP.  But
this is more limited than running servers on a PC.  e.g. You don't often
get a chance to manually set up DNS records for a LAN on a router.

I read messages from the public lists.