Re: Another DNS question.

OK. Let me explain it more specific. In the back-up config files I can address the clients (the PCs to be backed up) by either their IP-addresses or their hostnames (I think Windoze calls it workstation names). IP-addresses are dynamic and may change, host names are static so I can enter their host names into the config files to keep them static provided I have a dynamic way of modifying /etc/hosts whenever a box connects to the LAN. /etc/hosts is in a sense a DNS I just don't know of any method to keep it current.

turn off DHCP on the router and setup a DHCP server on the backup server. Then in the dhcpd.conf set it up so that each PC's mac address is configured so they allways get the same IP address. Therefore even though the network is providing DHCP the clients you want to backup allways get the same IP.

Is that what you are after?

thanks