Re: How to restart alsa?

On Saturday 05 August 2006 18:55, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 6:23 PM +0200 8/5/06, Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> Thanks, Nigel, but I get
> >>
> >> # /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
> >> bash: /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound: No such file or directory
> >> #
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> >That's odd. I've just been into FC5, presuming that's what your using, to
> >check it out, and alsasound is there. I am using a kernel from
> > planetccrma, along with Alsa stuff, and sound apps from them, but Alsa,
> > when I installed FC5 worked just fine OOTB with my Ensoniq card.
>
> FWIW, I'm also using FC5, but "locate alsasound" finds no files and "yum
> provides alsasound" with the usual repos finds no matches.  There are no
> modules with alsa in the name.  Yet sound works here, VIA chipset, AC'97
> audio.
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

Hi Tony. Thats interesting. I've just booted up the other FC5 which doesn't
have the planetccrma kernel, and the associated kernel-modules-alsa package
on it, and your quite right. No /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound. There is
an /etc/alsa directory with and alsa.conf file, a cards directory, and a PCM
directory, with another few bits, and cat /proc/asound/cards,
cat /proc/asound/version, and /sbin/lsmod show that Alsa is installed ok.

It must be that installing the planetccrma kernel, and associated
kernel-modules-alsa package, that has created the alsasound file.

So the question remains. How, if you are using Fedora kernels, do you start
and stop Alsa?

I must admit that I only had a quick look in the non planetccrma FC5, and
perhaps there is a script somewhere that allows you to stop and start Alsa.

Nigel.