Re: Not the usual installation media check failures

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 10:35 -0700, Mark wrote:
> I everyone,
>
> I have a weird problem with the media check of the FC5 disks:
>
> All checksums are ok. I burned the ISOs and run media checks on them on one computer. 2 disks fail.
> I run the media check again on another computer and one of the disks that failed on the first machine passes, however another disk
> that passed on the first machine fails on the second machine.
>
> I used ide=nodma on both machines.
>
> Any idea why?
> Should I just go ahead and ignore this and install anyway?

ide=nodma is not a guaranteed fix for the kernel bug that causes the
mediacheck issues; it just happens to work in some cases.

If you want to check that the disks are burned correctly, you could try
reading back the data from the CD and doing the SHA1SUM check against
the resulting ISO image:

http://www.city-fan.org/tips/IsoImageFromMedia

The mediacheck itself is pointless on your system, so I woudn't bother
with it. If the disks check out OK, just install anyway and skip the
media check.

Paul.