Re: "/var/www/html" permission question

On 8/5/06, Deepak Shrestha <d88pak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

is it ok to give full permission to regular users in "/var/www/html"
directory? or is this the way how it should be?

I am new to managing the apache server. Currently I am learning the
PHP which requires that I should be able to write in "/var/www/html"
directory to check my code and modify it. Right now I have given full
permission to all users in this directory so that I can have full
control over it.

My question is about security...what if this server is serving online?
Is it secure to do this?
I have tried apache's online documentation too but it doesn't say
anything about this stuff (more on server configurations and others).

Thanks

--

hey,

You should not give full permissions to the users on /var/www/html
directory but you should give whatever rights to the users on the
directory which you have created under /var/www/html  for example
testing

By default permissions on html directory is below that means all the
users have the read and execute permission on the html directory
drwxr-xr-x  24 root      root   4096 Jul 31 18:06 html

Now if you want to give the users permissions on testing directory
under /var/www/html directory then whatever permissions are necessary
for your software you give

like read for all but write only for the owner

drwxr--r--

or read & execute for all the users

drwxr-xr-x   change the group of the directory to apache so that there
should not be any problem in executing the software through web.

Regards

Ankush Grover