Re: New in FC5 since a few days - some questions about Gnome

> >>1) There are several partitions formatted, but none of them appears when
> >>clicking the "Computer" icon, despite they are correctly declared into
> >>the fstab; though they can be accessed via nautilus navigating through
> >>the file system, apart from the CLI obviously... They are set to mount
> >>automatically ("auto") at start up.
> >>  This is not what I expected, since until FC4 you could access to such
> >>as volumes easily, in one step by "Computer" clicking.
> >>  Is there any way to restore that behaviour in Gnome?
> >>  I've been reading the Gnome 2.14 Guide and found nothing about it.
> >>  Worse yet, inside the "Computer" access on my desktop, the system
> >>creates icon for those volumes that exist in the hard disk indeed...,
> >>but that are not formatted with any file system yet!
>
> I don't understand the problem if the partitions are mounted, then they
> are visible in the file system.  I can see my partitions by going
> through the file system from the gnome Computer icon.  They are "not"
> separate but part of the filesystem where they are mounted.

Me too, I also can see them in that way.
Supposing that there were absolutely irrelevant the fact that each data
partition which the common-user use to interact to would have or not its
own volume icon into the "Computer" frame, two questions:
	1st- Why not? Does the idea seem so much strange to you? :-)
	2nd- Why (and it is really annoying!) appear just those that belongs to
partitions that neither are declared in the fstab, nor mounted, or even
without any given format? Does it make much sense?

> Are you saying that you expect to see each partition displayed with it's
> own icon?

Right.

> The removable drives show up as expected.

Everything OK here.

> >>2) I'd like to edit the gnome panel in order to remove a entry that
> >>hangs from System (or Desktop, the third one place in the main menu),
> >>called "Suspend". There are reasons for that, it is not an empty "bright
> >>idea"... I'm sure this is not in the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
> >>path, but I have no idea where could hide now Gnome (or Fedora) those
> >>files. Before, at some earlier versions they were placed into some more
> >>or less known paths, but now who knows.., anyone knows, please?
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >>Daniel
> >

> Menu editing has always been a pain for me since RH/Gnome moved to this
> format.  I have searched through the various *.desktop files to find
> where things are buried.
>
> There was an article that I had for RH 8 that explained the changes and
> how some menu features can be called from other menu lines.
>
> There is a need for a decent menu editor.

About the latest, yes.
Particularly I think that in Gnome there is much work to do concerning
"look", "aspect", and those things.
IMHO it would be more important a good work in the gnome-menu than a
good editor: maybe we feel the need of edit menus because we miss good
menus.
Then, some distros (not only Fedora) seem (it's my personal impression)
not to worry much about these things, it's a pity, because the hard work
it's done, brutal improvements, innovation 120% added, tons of well-done
work behind each release, I'm sure. But the final 5%, all that related
with "the aspect", the "final touch", really the easiest part, it's not
good... Hidden launchers for some reasons, no description to really
impressive programs (that should put proud to everyone...), even not its
specific noun (a generic one instead, that's not the way I understand
for "to promote" something), lack of translation in many cases, etc.
Because of that, I use to customize my /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
files by hand, and backup them from time to time, even when upgrading.

I've tried alacarte for the first time in the past days, and has nothing
to do with what I need/want. Gmenu-editor it's very similar, I'd say
that's better.

> --
> Robin Laing

Regards, Daniel.