Re: Sound on Acer Aspire ZWLMi notebook

On Friday 04 August 2006 10:13, JeeBee wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:35:31 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi JeeBee. I,ve just posted your problem to the Alsa-user list, and the
> > news is perhaps not good. The main problem is that many laptop's
> > soundcards are basically crappy, and if you're going to use your laptop
> > for serious audio work, it's probably best to get, either a USB
> > soundcard, or a pcmcia one.
>
> Ok, Nigel, thanks for asking.
> I do read some good news here as well.
> I can buy a pcmcia card and have sound with linux then?

Yes, and the same goes for USB soundcards.
> Can this card use my internal laptop speakers?

As I don't have a laptop, I'm not sure, and had been wondering about that
myself.
> And, more importantly, which card should I buy then?

It may be best to put that question to the list here, or on Linux audio user
list. Folks who are using either USB, or pcmcia cards will be able to make
better suggestions than me.  It depends as well, how much you can afford. I
think the pcmcia ones are generally more expensive than the USB ones.

> Maybe I will do so. But I'll try to be a little patient first and
> wait a few weeks and pray my bug gets fixed from Alsa's bug tracker.

I hope you get the sound fixed soon, one way or the other. It's obviously a
very frustrating problem.

Nigel.