Re: Matlab & LD_LIBRARY_PATH

--- Ed Hill <ed@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 21:30 -0400, David Scriven wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> >
> > No, not for installed Matlab, but for stand-alone applications
> > on machines that don't have Matlab installed, so no, I don't
> > believe I'm doing anything wrong.
>
> Ok, I misunderstood the "stand-alone" part.
>
> So, exactly what isn't working for you?  Your description is pretty
> vague.
>
> If all you want to do is set some environment variables, then there
> are
> many ways to accomplish that.  One quick/easy method is to "wrap"
> your
> executable by writing a shell script that sets all the necessary
> environment vars, etc. before calling the actual executable.  Many
> programs use such a wrapper strategy.
>
> Ed

That's a solution, but it becomes a nuisance when deploying
a number of different applications. I was trying MatLAB's
recommended approach which was to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH

What I don't understand is why one cannot set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in /etc/profile.

If you put
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/matlabpath" (say)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

RUBBISH="trash"
export RUBBISH

in /etc/profile
you'll find that RUBBISH is set but LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not
set after login.

One can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually - ie. from the prompt
and things work fine.

My guess that somewhere it is being UNSET, but I can't figure
out where. This happens on different machines running either
FC4 or FC5.