Re: Networking Problems

#1. Do you have another machine on the local net that you can ping? If so, then you can confirm your NIC / Cable are working and network params are fine. #2. Can you ping an IP address in the outside world? This tests if your firewall / gateway is set up correctly #3. If #2 is okay, can you ping a domain name from the outside world? This tests your DNS settings.

Also, you might want to flush our your iptables because some default rules will block icmp (i.e. ping)

-Brad

DRicher33 wrote:
Hi all,

Fairly new to linux and having some problems troubleshooting my internet connection.

For some reason I can't get to the outside world and it's driving me nuts.  I can't ping anything outside my localhost.  I'm running a static IP address:

IP: xx.xx.128.149
Sub: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: xx.xx.128.1

Confirmed with my ISP that those are correct.  I've assigned DNS settings properly and confirmed on another machine that the Gateway, DNS servers are working.

Here is what I've done:

1. Reinstalled Fedora Core 5
2. Turned off the firewall and SELINUX
3. Tried a different network card with same result.

Am I missing something here? Is this some weird DNS issue?

Any help would be great
thanks