How can I import emails and the address book from an old Kmail into Evolution?

Does anybody know how I can do this?  When I select "Import", I can
browse to specific files to import, but it appears that, for some
reason (perhaps due to an earlier import/upgrade into kmail), some of
my mail folders were stored in mbox files, while others were stored in
directories (perhaps in "maildir" format, but I haven't verified that
yet).

Anyway, I have my old Mail directory -- I would like to get it,
including the contact data, imported into Evolution, the
straightforward "Import" command works for some of the files, but not
for all of them, and not for the contacts.  And I don't know where to
go from here except to ask for help.

help! :-)

--wpd