Re: linux - vncserver

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 18:06 -0700, bruce wrote:

> i have vncserver running on a linux FC3 box. in adding another app, it
> appears that vnc requires that my "/etc/hosts" file be set up with:
>   127.0.0.1		foo	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>
> foo in this case is the name of the box.
>
> i'm trying to setup my VNC and the Condor app to work on a number of
> machines in my network. it appears that i can't have "foo" on the same line
> as the 127.0.0.1 for Condor to work. however, it appears that I can't remove
> the 'foo' or the VNC doesn't seem to work. i'm using VNC to generate the
> gnome display.
>
> it appears that my issues are tied to the /etc/hosts file...

'tis a bad idea to mess up the localhosts line as you've found out, but
if it really requires putting a machine name onto it, rather than onto a
line tied to an address some other local PC can use (e.g. 192.168.x.y
sort of addresses), what about putting it onto the end as yet another
alias?

e.g. 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost foo

Seems rather strange to put something like VNC onto the local loopback
address, though.  VNC is generally something you do between different
PCs.  On each PC, 127.0.0.1 will always refer to itself.

Regarding one of your follow-up posts, about why it's necessary to mess
with /etc/hosts when you have DNS, the reasons could be various:

e.g. Allows things to work when DNS isn't available (like the network
cable being unplugged).  Allows the use of short aliases instead of
fully-qualified domain names, when there's no search parameter in your
resolv.conf file.  Your resolv.conf file is configured in a way that
isn't paying attention to DNS?

Typically, I've experienced the opposite (hosts being ignored by some
services, and a DNS server being necessary).

I read messages from the public lists.