Re: Samba smb.conf not resolved.

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 09:47 -0500, hbrhodes wrote:
> let me re-write what i meant happened.  i'll provide more information.
>
> i've been reading the internet groups and i've tried the howto's.  i'm
> running into an obstable and i am asking for assistance here!  I have
> FC5 as a server with samba files.  it does not have swat, or a graphical
> tool.  it is a text or base server so i can conserve as much room as
> possible on it for putting files on it.   This is the same dumping
> ground that i've been trying to get my upstairs fedora computer to write
> to.  i finally got it figured out with some assistance (nfs was turned
> off).  now i'm trying to get it set up so my wife (or i) can write files
> to that computer (Samba Server) from her comupter (WinBlows).
>
> the client(s) are going to be windows XP pro.  i'm testing it out on the
> one computer with xp pro installed on it now (home computers) and i can
> log in with the right user name and password, and i can view the
> folders.  i cannot write to the home directory (i think that is turned
> off ...) and i cannot write to the directory R2314 that i have shared.
> the new smb.conf file is smb.conf and the old one is smb.conf.bak.  I
> have also set up the directory to be written to with the permissions:
>     /misc/R2314   GROUP   rwxr-xrwx
> i did this because i found an article that said i needed to let 'others'
> rwx to the directory.  every time i mess with the smb.conf file i do a
> 'service smb restart.'  I think that is everything!  Oh by the way, when
> i try to write to the directory from WinBlows to the Samba Server ... it
> says i do no have enough disk space or the appropriate permissions.  and
> samba Version is 3.0.23-1.fc5
>
> i even went and added "smbpasswd -a " and added two users with two
> passwords.  both of whom have home directories.
> this is the new samba configuration file (follows):
>
> #Global Parameters
> [global]
> workgroup = RHODES
> netbios name = Samba Server
> encrypt passwords = yes
> security = user
>
> [homes]
> read only = no
> browseable = yes
>
> [R2314]
> comment = HodgePodge of Data
> path = /misc/R2314/
> force user = hbrhodes klrhodes kelli
> force group = wheel
> read only = No
> ;guest ok = Yes
> create mask = 0765
----
1 - what mode is SELinux (you can figure that out from
system-config-securitylevel and clicking the SELinux tab).

If it is in 'enforcing' mode, it is likely to be your problem. Either
set it to permissive or report back here and we will try to help you
with configuration changes necessary to use samba & SELinux

2 - Is firewall enabled? (also configured from
system-config-securitylevel)

If it is enabled, do you have samba checked to allow Fedora system to
accept connections on the common Windows ports?

3 - Permissions on /misc/R2313

Does 'wheel' group have write permissions? What is (unedited) output of
ls -ld /misc/R2313
?

What you reported above doesn't make sense since you edited it.

Are the users for whom you added samba passwords also members of the
'wheel' group?

4 - Permissions on home directories - wouldn't suggest that you change
them at all. They should be available to the users from their login
however the only way 'home' directories are automatically mounted from
the magical Windows HOMES share is if you do domain controller & join
the Windows machines to Windows (samba) domain controller, which is
beyond the efforts a normal user would probably want to go.

Craig