Re: C Programming

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 10:54:09AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 09:24:42AM -0500, Erich Carlson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 14:00 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > > Can any one here point me to "Learning C Programming"
> > The book "The C Programming Language", Second Addition by Brian W.
> > Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie
> > http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/
>
> Yeah. Not only is it the original (well, make sure you get the ANSI C
> edition, because you don't really want *too* original), it's very well
> written and easy to learn from. There's really no need for another book.
>
> Unless you actually want to learn C++. In some ways, learning C first will
> put you at a disadvantage there, because it's easy to develop good C habits
> which are bad C++ coding. In that case, I highly, highly recommendd
> "Object-Oriented Programming in C++" by Robert Lafore (currently, in its 4th
> edition: <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672323087?v=glance>).
>
> It's very well organized, and teaches things clearly.

But WHATEVER you buy, avoid any book by Herbert Schildt, like the plague.
Mr. Schildt is an excellent writer. He explains things with great clarity.
Unfortunately too often his lucid explanations are WRONG or are teaching
BAD PRACTICE.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------