Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

At 12:51 PM -0400 7/28/06, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Friday 28 July 2006 11:06, Tony Nelson wrote:

>>>That should have said 'onto a DVD+RW' disk.  Sorry, it was very late by
>>> then.

>>>or -RW disks.

>>>That's very interesting.  It says that the drive can burn DVDs up to 6x.
>>>  The only format of DVD that it claims to write is DVD-R - the very one
>>> that was giving me problems.  DVD+R and DVD+RW are not mentioned at
>>> all.  The drive must be older than I thought!
>>
>>No.  Cdrecord has no knowledge of DVD+Plus, won't list it, and can't
>>actually burn it.  I suspect that some drives attempt to translate
>> DVD-Dash commands to burn Plus media if that's what's in the drive,
>> which would be why it seems to work in some cases.
>
>Which probably goes a long way toward explaining the occasional failure
>I've had.  I have both types of media on the shelf ATM.
>
>>Growisofs does know about DVD+Plus.  For Plus media one should use
>>growisofs and not cdrecord.
>
>Ok, I'll buy that, but where do we configure k3b to guarantee that?

I don't know.  I don't know if k3b can use growisofs at all.  I don't use
the GUI wrappers for burning CDs or DVDs, as burning seems problematic
enough that the wrappers cannot be trustworthy.  I use the growisofs
command line for DVDs, and the cdrecord command line for CDs.  I save the
commands I've used in a file with some comments, so I can use them again
later.