Re: Burning backup to dvd

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 26 July 2006 16:56, Ed Kim wrote:
Ed Kim wrote:
Can you attempt to use a different DVD media?  in the past, when I have
seen cdrecord spit,

Disk type:    unknown dye (reserved id code)

A change in media manufacturers or a double check on +R/-R capabilities
and disc types does the trick.
The disk I had been working with was a TDK 1-16x DVD-R disk. Interestingly, these disks work without a problem on my stand-alone Lite-On hardware recorder, yet give endless problems on my daughter's, which is the same model and age.

I found one Imation DVD-R and issued the burn command again, and to my surprise it burned immediately. The burn area looks about the right size, too, but I can't read it. I'm guessing that it's not fixed. Do you think that's it?

I've only ever seen that with DVD+R media before. I fixate those with cdrecord:

# cdrecord -v -fix

Paul.