Re: Cannot use neither rpm nor yum. Error message

David Desscan writes:

I cannot use neither yum nor rpm after I compiled and installed openssl-0.9.8.  I did the following before make install:

rpm -e --nodeps openssl
rpm -e --nodeps openssl-devel
make install

when I use rpm I get the following error message:

rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.5 : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And every time I warn someone against the bright idea of manually compiling and installing your own stuff, instead of using rpm to install all software on your system, some testosterone-laded ubergeek always begins mouthing off how compiling your own stuff and installing it is always better than installing pre-condigured rpm packages, and how he can use better configuration and optimization options than everyone else, and how he never had any problems.

Is there any way to resolve this problem?  I tried reboot with my installation CD but it does not give me the option to choose
packages.  I thought of reinstalling openssl from the CD.  I remember with
redhat 9 there was an option firstboot, which I once used to add packages.

Stop. The worst thing you can do when you find yourself in a middle of such a mess, is to make random attempts to fix it, without fully understanding what's broken on a fundamental level. You'll just make a bigger mess.

The good news is that you did not just scribble over your existing files, you blew away the entire openssl package. Strangely enough, that might actually help.

Try this: just boot the installation CD, and tell it to upgrade an existing system. In upgrade mode, there's a good chance that the openssl package will get reinstalled automatically.

If that does not work, you have two more options to try:

1) Grab a Knoppix rescue CD, and see if it has a statically-linked version of the rpm binary that you can copy over to the hard drive, reboot, and use the statically-linked rpm binary to reinstall the openssl package.

2) Copy the /lib/libssl.so.5 file from another box running Fedora.

An end user from ittoolbox forum suggested that I use rpm2cpio.  My question is how is it that so many utilities depend on this libssl.so.5 file to function?

Because encryption is GOOD. Once RSA's patents expired, it made it possible to easily add encryption to most software with very little effort, and there is no reason NOT to.

  How many utilities and applications depend on this library as a vital component to function?

A lot.

I tried rpm2cpio but unfortunately I get the same error message as with rpm and Yum.  I tried something else this weekend.  I  linked file libssl.a (the library file installed with openssl-0.9.8) to libssl.so.5 but that did not solve the problem as well.

Of course not. If you do not understand what actually is happening, on the fundamental level, making random stabs in the dark is very unlikely to improve things, and is very likely to only make things worse.

.so and .a files are completely different beasts, and one is not a substitute for the other.

I am thinking of downloading the source files for openssl-0.9.7f (which was the version supplied with Fedora Core 4)compile and reinstall again.  However I doubt whether the libssl.so.5 file will be installed after the make install command.

Most likely not, and you're likely to screw up your system even further.

Fedora Core 4 i386, I presume?

The libssl.so.5 is not that big.  Only 230kb:

links http://www.courier-mta.com/libssl.so.5

Since you can E-mail, presumably you have some kind of net access, and you should be able to download it, in some other way besides wget.

Next time, when you get the urge to start installing stuff, you'll keep your urges in check long enough to learn how to use rpm to build and install software.