Re: VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_2.VOB VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_2.VOB VIDEO_TS.IFO VTS_01_0.BUP VTS_01_1.VOB :(

On Monday 24 July 2006 07:06, Heikki Pesonen wrote:
> I have old 2*8 and super 8 films I have earlier transferred to computer
> using VHS-video. In my recent computer I do not have the analog video input
> device. A friend of mine transferred my movies to DVD, and I see them in my
> DVD-TV system. So I thought It's as simple as earlier to transfer the data
> from the DVD to the computer.
>
> Earlier I used Pinnacle Studio in Windows, which is a very good program to
> use, although unstable. But now Pinnacle Studio 9 can not read the files in
> the DVD, although they seem to be mpeg-files. In Linux the content of my
> DVD is:
>
> [fossiili@localhost JVC_DVD_ROM_PVD]$ ls
> VIDEO_TS
> [fossiili@localhost JVC_DVD_ROM_PVD]$ cd VIDEO_TS
> [fossiili@localhost VIDEO_TS]$ ls
> VIDEO_TS.BUP  VIDEO_TS.VOB  VTS_01_0.IFO  VTS_01_2.VOB
> VIDEO_TS.IFO  VTS_01_0.BUP  VTS_01_1.VOB
> [fossiili@localhost VIDEO_TS]$
>
> I appreciate, if you can tell me some programs I could use
> 1. to read these VOB-files and transfer them to some common mpeg-format I
> could move to vfat and after that process in Windows
> 2. to edit the files in Fedora Core 5 and write the results to DVD/CD or
> VHS.
>
> No wonder, that "Totem was not able to play this disk" - neither could any
> program I have in my WindowsXP Home. It does not matter, because a cheap
> device with my old TV can do that!

You're much nearer than you think.  First, you do not need to change the
format or to edit those files in any way.  As well as the files you list, you
should have a directory called AUDIO_TS.  Use k3b or any other burning
application to copy both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS onto your dvd.  (It doesn't
matter if AUDIO_TS is empty.)

You then have a playable DVD.  However, you will need other packages installed
to play them, as those are not supplied with FC, due to potential illegality
in some countries.  You can get them through some of the external
repositories, probably freshrpms or livna.  You certainly need libdvdcss, and
you should get every codec package you can see, as you will also need them
for mp3 and some other multimedia formats.

Anne